Dr. Matti Viluksela is a Board Certified Toxicologist (Diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology; DABT), a European Registered Toxicologist (ERT) and the principal scientist of Toxistence.
He has over 30 years of experience in various fields of toxicology and related disciplines, including pharmaceutical industry, academia, authorities and consultancy. He is also professor of the University of Eastern Finland.
Education and training
- Specialist Qualification in Management, Haaga Polytechnic, Helsinki, Finland
- Docent (toxicology), University of Helsinki, Finland
- Postdoctoral fellowship, University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Therapeutics, Kansas City, KS, USA
- Ph.D. (Toxicology), University of Kuopio, Finland
- Diplomate of American Board of Toxicology (DABT), Certified in general toxicology, 1993 (recertified in 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2013), abtox.org
- European Registered Toxicologist (ERT), eurotox.com/ert/
Scientific committees etc.
- Review editor for Frontiers in Predictive Toxicology (2010-)
- Member of the Scientific Committee on Health and Environmental Risks (SCHER) of the European Commission (2004-2009)
- Member of the Standing Committee on Environmental Toxicology / Pollution, Environment and Health of the Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS) (2006-2010)
- Member of the Executive Board of the Centre of Excellence in Risk Analysis, National Public Health Institute (2004-2008)
- Member of the Scientific Program Committee for the 10th International Congress of Toxicology (ICT X, 2004) (2001-2004)
- Member of the external peer review panel on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency dioxin reassessment documents “Integrated Summary and Risk Characterization for 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) and related compounds” and “Toxicity Equivalency Factors (TEF) for Dioxin and Related Compounds” (2000)
- Member of the Novel Food Board, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Finland (2000-2017)
- Expert member of the Advisory Committee on Chemicals, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Finland (1999-2017)
- Member of the ECVAM (European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods) Scientific Advisory Committee (ESAC) of the European Commission (1996-2004)
- Member (and scientific secretary) of the Expert Advisory Committee on Toxicology (TOXAS), the National Product Control Agency for Welfare and Health, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Finland (1995-2008)